When a physical condition or injury affects your mobility or quality of life, there is one goal: a rapid return to everyday activities. Orthopaedic Associates of Central Maryland is pleased to offer laser therapy in our Columbia location, the only center offering this new laser treatment therapy in Howard County.
Cleared by the FDA in 2009, Multiwave Locked System (MLS) laser therapy is a noninvasive, safe, and effective treatment modality in which light is used to relieve pain, reduce inflammation, and promote healing and soft tissue repair.
The MLS laser features breakthrough technology that uses a multiwave, fully robotic laser for faster healing and pain reduction. This technology has the ability to significantly reduce healing time for acute injuries and vastly improve quality of life for patients suffering from chronic conditions.
MLS laser therapy has no known side effects and is a comfortable, effective, and convenient treatment for old or new injuries. Chronic arthritis pain, back pain, neck pain, bursitis, hip or knee pain, plantar fasciitis, sciatica, toe nail fungus, tendonitis, shoulder pain, post-surgical pain, neuropathy, and fibromyalgia are only a few of the conditions that can be treated.
Light energy enters damaged cells and stimulates cellular activity. This reduces pain in the area and speeds recovery of damaged cells. Once the cells recover, the healing process is complete.
Light energy helps heal injuries by:
- Stimulating cells to remove toxins
- Allowing oxygen and food loads into the cell
- Blocking pain signals in the brain and releasing endorphins and encephalin (natural painkillers)
- Increasing the production and growth of cells, bringing blood flow into the area and accelerating the healing process
- Jumpstarting the body’s own healing process by stimulating the mitochondria in the cells
- No side affects
- No surgery
- Rapid improvement of blood circulation
- Rapid pain relief
- Rapid repair of wounds and ulcers
- Rapid repair of swelling
- Speeds the healing process
- Strong anti-inflammatory effect
- Timely healing of sprains and strains
The number of treatments is based on the type of problem that is being treated and if it is an acute or chronic condition. Treatment for acute care is six treatments, every other day, and 10 for chronic conditions.
A single treatment takes less than 15 minutes and is completely painless and comfortable. Treatment times may vary for multiple areas.
We encourage you to wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing and to bring a light jacket or sweater in case the room is too cool for your comfort. If needed, a gown or shorts will be provided for you. You can bring a book, magazine, or electronic device; however, you will need to be still while the laser is active.
- Make sure the area of treatment is clean prior to your appointment.
- Avoid the use of topical creams, lotions, or analgesic balms before or immediately after treatment.
- Wear approved safety goggles unless lying facedown away from the laser light (supplied by the tech).
- Avoid wearing jewelry or any shiny objects (watches, bracelets, chains, etc.) at or around the treatment area during the actual treatment.
After your treatment you may feel immediate relief. Most people experience a comfortable sensation at the time of the application. The effects of the treatment are cumulative; therefore, you should expect to see improvement as you proceed through the treatment plan. Once you begin treatment, it is critical to complete the course of treatment or symptoms are likely to re-occur.
MLS laser therapy is cleared for clinical use by the FDA; however, insurance does not reimburse for this procedure.
We have priced the treatment to make it more affordable so those who suffer from pain have an alternative. The cost is $80 per treatment; however, they are sold in packages.
- 3 Acute Care Treatments = $240
- 6 Acute Care Treatments = $480
- 6 Acute Care Bilateral (both sides) Treatments = $840
- 10 Chronic Care Treatments = $800
Laser therapy should not be performed:
- On an area injected with steroids in the past 2-3 weeks
- If you are taking anticoagulants
- If you are taking medication known to increase sensitivity to sunlight
- If you have a seizure disorder triggered by light
- If you are pregnant
- If you suspect you are carrying a serious infectious disease where it is advisable to suppress heat or fever
- If you have an HIV-positive history
- Over an area of hemorrhagic diathesis
- Over a suspicious area of potentially or known cancerous tissue
- Over an area that can cause active hemorrhage
- Over the thoracic area if the patient uses a pacemaker
- Over the sympathetic ganglia
- Over the vagus nerve
- Over the neck (thyroid or carotid sinus region)
- Over or near bone growth centers until bone growth is complete
- Over an area where analgesia may mask progressive pathology
- Over anesthetic areas
- Over an area of the spinal cord following a laminectomy, i.e., when major covering tissue have been removed
- On ischemic tissue where the blood supply would be unable to follow the increase in metabolic demand tissue necrosis might result
“The laser therapy has helped me a lot! Sometimes at night I still get pain in my left knee, but not enough to stop me from sleeping. Thanks again for the laser therapy!” ~ Doris McMaster
“During a visit to Dr. Grosso for knee pain and cortisone injections, I read the brochure about Cold Laser Therapy. The scheduling was very easy and flexible. I received 3 treatments on 3 different body parts. I highly recommend this treatment. I continue to have some improvement 1 month later and will probably complete another series in the near future.” ~ Pamela Suarez
“The overall experience and the professionalism of the staff who assisted in my treatments went well beyond the call of duty. While the treatments didn’t entirely remove the pain from my heel, the pain level did get drastically reduced from around a 8 or 9 level to a 2 or 3 level. I still have pain in the heel but I am now able to at least walk for an extended period of time without having to stop and take a break while the pain goes down. I highly recommend this type of treatment to others who suffer from the same type of foot problems.” ~ D. Jaworiwsky