For your convenience, Orthopaedic Associates of Central Maryland provides orthotics on-site in our offices. Orthotics are customized shoe inserts that can balance many foot deformities and correct misalignments. Crafted to the unique shape of your foot, orthotics can reduce foot pain and make walking more comfortable. More often than not, they can also help you avoid surgery.
Custom Orthotics to Get You Back on Your Feet
For a variety of common foot ailments such as foot, ankle, and heel pain, plantar fasciitis, bursitis, and tendinitis, the foot and ankle specialists at The Centers for Advanced Orthopaedics/Orthopaedic Associates of Central Maryland division (OACM) prescribe custom-fit orthotics.
Orthotics are custom-made, premium inserts that are available only by prescription from an orthopaedic specialist or podiatrist. They are made from a soft yet sturdy, flexible material. These medical devices are molded to your foot and worn in shoes to improve foot function and mobility. Custom orthotics also help alleviate debilitating foot pain caused by diabetes and other common foot conditions including plantar fasciitis.
While shoe inserts or insoles commonly found in pharmacies and stores can provide some level of cushioning, they are not effective in easing foot pain and are not made to correct biomechanical function like custom orthotics.
Advanced Orthotics for the Most Effective Pain Relief at OACM
Our foot and ankle specialists use The Premium Custom Orthotic™ from Northwest Podiatric Laboratory, which utilizes SmartCast® technology for a precise, tailor-made orthotic and effective relief of foot pain. The custom orthotics are lighter, thinner, and stronger than most inserts.
How SmartCast Works – What You Can Expect
At OACM, our orthotics are individualized for each patient’s foot problem and medical condition. After a comprehensive evaluation by one of our specialists, you will be fitted for your premium orthotics using the SmartCast system.
- First, your provider will place your foot in the SmartCast Foot Positioning System®.
- Next, photos and 3D scans of your feet are captured, imaging the sides as well as the heels of each foot for the most accurate measurements.
- The 3D scans, photos, and measurements are then digitally sent to the skilled technicians at Northwest Podiatric Laboratory where your custom orthotics are handcrafted to address your unique foot problems.
- The custom-made orthotics will then be sent back to your provider in approximately two weeks where he/she will ensure they are a perfect fit.
Benefits of SmartCast Technology
- SmartCast is quicker, more comfortable, and less messy than traditional plaster foot casts or foam impressions.
- Using 3D technology to map the entire foot, every orthotic is customized to each individual for the most comfortable fit and optimal effectiveness.
- The 3D scans are digitally submitted immediately to Northwest Podiatric Laboratory, expediting the process of creating each handcrafted orthotic. The orthotics are typically shipped back to your OACM provider in approximately two weeks.
Your doctor will let you know if you are a candidate for orthotics. To schedule an appointment with one of our orthopaedic surgeons or podiatrist at our offices in Columbia, Eldersburg, or Catonsville, Maryland, call (410) 644-1880 or request one online.